What is a radar chart
A radar chart is a visualization type that offers a space-efficient way of comparing values of multiple variables so that relative strength and weakness in different areas are easily identifiable. The sample radar chart presented below shows Denmark’s performance across 12 pillars of the prosperity index in 2020:
How to build a radar chart
The radar chart is available among other charts into the dataset viewer:
- Open any dataset in the dataset viewer.
- Select the desired indicator(s) in the dimensions panel on the left.
- Choose the radar chart visualization in the right panel. The icon looks like this:
How to work with a radar chart
The radar chart is customizable, as are all the other gadgets available on Knoema. In a radar chart, users can substitute points, series and filter where series are elements of legend and time points are corners of a radar.
Let’s walk through how to customize a chart when you need to change its legend. We'll use the following radar chart, which graphs components of the prosperity index over a three-year period. In the current layout, the time points are the corners and the series are the legend elements.
- To customize the radar chart you need to open it in a new dashboard. To do this, click “Open in a new dashboard” in the Tools panel on the right. (Learn more about opening a dataset in new dashboard).
- Go to the editor mode of the gadget (select the hamburger menu on the gadget in the upper right corner of the graph image and select Edit) and switch to the Appearance tab.
- To arrange the time dimension as the legend and the indicators as the corners of the chart, you simply need to swap the axes. To do this, go to the Axes tab and click the appropriate button:
Swapping the time dimension and indicators will modify the chart as follows:
You can also make the same modification by using the "Customize" mode by clicking the "Gear" icon in the dimension filter. This method is described in the “How to customize visualizations?” article.
How to customize the appearance of a radar chart?
The appearance of the chart could be edited as well - you are able to choose the most appropriate view of the area for you choosing several available types:
- To adjust the appearance of the radar chart you need to open it in a new dashboard.
- Go to the editor mode of the gadget and switch to the Appearance tab.
- Go to the Series tab into editing mode of the gadget where you will see available area presenting formats: