To query data, open a dataset in the Dataset Viewer and start making necessary selections in dimensions.
- You can select items separately by checking them (1), select several items at once using Shift button, or select all items of a dimension by clicking “Select all” (2). "Select all" option allows to keep your data updated - if you have previously created charts with that option in dimensions, new data from updated dataset will be automatically included and shown. In dimensions with countries, you can also use presets.
- Click “Clear” to reset the selection in the current dimension (3).
- To see only the selected items, click the icon with the number of items you have selected (4).
- You can also see the table of contents by clicking a corresponding icon (5).
- You can filter to find necessary items in a dimension by typing or using the asterisk symbol to navigate through the hierarchy (6).
Once your selections are made, a visualization will appear. The type of visualization presented will match your selection. However, you can switch between different visualization types on the right panel.
In the time dimension, you can choose time mode and data frequency.
There are the following time modes:
- Range. In this case, the start and end dates are fixed and determined by you. For example, the range may be from January 2018 to January 2019.
- Individual members. You can select any time points in any order, for example, 1990, 2000, 2005, 2007.
- Last N members. As opposed to fixed start and end dates in range mode, this time mode assumes that start and end dates will change as new data is added to the dataset.
- Since. In this mode, only the start date is fixed while the end date is the latest available date.
- All data. If you select this mode, you will see data for all available time periods.
Set of available time frequencies depends on a dataset. In one dataset, like Key Short-Term Economic Indicators from OECD, there are three time frequencies available: annual, quarterly, and monthly. In another dataset, like International Data from FRED, there are also daily and weekly frequencies while in World Development Indicators dataset from the World Bank only annual frequency is available.
You can select multiple frequencies by holding Ctrl (Cmd) button.