Your Knoema Enterprise subscription may include a specific level of support for data integration and maintenance as well as customized small group training. Contact your Knoema representative to learn more.
Depending on your role, you will have different options with regard to dataset updates:
- System admins (managers) may update datasets uploaded directly to the platform. All data sourced from Knoema.com and 3rd party sources managed by Knoema can be updated by Knoema only.
- Non-admin users can only update private datasets (if your system allows them to upload data) or those datasets that other users have granted a specific user editorial permissions. These users will have a special data ‘role’ enabled by the system admin to verify the datasets as well. Otherwise, an admin will need to verify the datasets and the user will see a warning during the upload that the dataset requires verification.
There are three ways a dataset can be updated:
1 — Append dataset
2 — Overwrite dataset
3 — Replace dataset
Steps for overwriting and adding new data are the same. Firstly, you need to get a dataset structure using one of the ways:
Download whole dataset
- Open your dataset in the Dataset Viewer and click More Actions > Upload Data.
- Click the link for Request a complete dataset. The file will be delivered to the e-mail address associated with your account.
- Within the file you received by e-mail, make all of you data changes within the worksheet named Data (your name for this worksheet may vary; the worksheet you are editing contains all the data values).
- From the dataset viewer > More Actions > Upload data, reupload your revised file.
Download a part of dataset
- Download the portion of the dataset that you need to update by first selecting the data of interest in the Dataset Viewer (locations, indicators, measures etc).
- Click the Download data only button in the right pane.
- Check your e-mail associated with your account. You will receive the file with the data worksheet.
- Then add data using dataset structure you’ve received.
- Next, go back to the dataset in the dataset viewer and click More Actions > Upload data and upload the file you prepared. If your update was correct, you will see an upload report that summarizes the number of values that you added.
The data upload tool will ask whether you want to ‘overwrite’ or ‘append’ the existing dataset.
- Append means you are adding new data to the data that exists in the dataset. If your file replicates data already existing in the dataset and you choose Append, the upload tool would add a duplicate row of data into the dataset.
- Overwrite means you are deleting all the old data from the dataset and overwriting it with data from the new update file.
Note: In the Update Notes field a manager could describe the data, methodology, or other information pertaining to the data update. If the dataset is public, users must resubmit the datasets for verification after each update.
Note: If you have received an ‘Unexpected file format’ error or experienced a technical issue, contact your Knoema representative for assistance.
Replacing a dataset
In some instances you may need to make structural changes to your dataset. In this scenario, you must upload the new dataset, as previously explained, and set it as a ‘replacement’ dataset for the original version as follows:
- To simplify the process, start by bookmarking the new dataset that you have uploaded.
- Now, return to the data catalog to find and open the previous version of the dataset that you want to replace.
- In the Dataset Viewer, select the menu More Actions > Edit Metadata.
- Scroll down to the Replacement Dataset and select None.
- Select the dataset you've added to Bookmarks in step 1 and click OK.
- The replacement dataset field now shows the title of the replacement dataset. Select Save.
- The older version of the dataset now shows a yellow warning banner in the data browser—as well as in any visualization/dashboard built on the dataset—to alert users that a newer version of the dataset is available and provides a link to the newer version.