As you add data to your workbook with DataFinder, a variety of simple transformations are available to prepare your data for more in-depth analysis.The transform parameter appears in the following formulas:
To fetch time series data: =Knoema.Get(datasetId, dates, transform, optional modifier, dimensions...)
To fetch time series data, dates, and metadata, use: =Knoema.GetA(datasetId, dates, transform, optional modifier, dimensions...)
Percent Changes and Absolute Value
- PCH – % change between two values - (v2-v1)/v1
- PCHY – % change from a year ago; e.g., a change from the same month of the previous year
- PCHYTD – % change year to date
- PCHA – % change, annualized; a change from the previous month raised by 12 in the case of monthly data, and by 4 in the case of quarterly data
- ABS – The absolute value of a number
- DIFF – Change; an absolute change from the previous values which represents value in the current period minus the most recent previous period
- DIFFY – Change from one year ago
- DIFFYTD – Change, YTD (year to date); an absolute change from the beginning of the year
- DIFFQTD – Change, QTD (quarter to date); an absolute change from the beginning of the quarter
- DIFFA – Change, YTD
- DLOG – Log difference; the difference of natural logarithms of the current and previous period which is equivalent to the % change
- DLOGY – Log difference from one year ago
- DLOGYTD – Log difference, YTD
- DLOGQTD – Log difference, QTD
- DLOGP – Log difference, previous value
Moving averages and sums
The following 4 transformations require the user to input a number of points x to include in the transformation. For example, to get moving average (trailing) across 3 points, the user should use “MOVAVG3” as the transform parameter.
- MOVAVGx Moving average (trailing) across x points
- MOVAVGYx – Moving average, YoY (trailing) across x points
- MOVSUMx – Moving sum (trailing) across x points
- MOVSUMYx – Moving sum, YoY (trailing) across x point
Quarter- and year-to-date
- SUMYTD – Sum of the values to year-to-date
- SUMQTD – Sum of the value quarter-to-date
- SUMYTDY – Sum, year-to-date, year-on-year
- SUMQTDY – Sum, quarter-to-date, year-on-year
If you request a frequency in the Dates Parameter that does not exist in the dataset, DataFinder will NOT automatically aggregate the available data to create data with the requested frequency.
SUM - Sums the values from the higher frequency data during aggregations. For daily data summed to weekly, the week is assumed to start on Mondays.
- LAST - uses the last chronological value for the time period in aggregations.
- AVG - Averages the values from the higher frequency data, e.g., applying "A" to Daily data will produce the average across the year.
- SAVG - Averages the values from the lower frequency data, e.g., if the requested frequency in the function is "M" but some data series are annual, this parameter calculates the average per month for those series.